Book Your Consultation

North Carolina Fathers Rights

Culbertson and Associates > North Carolina Fathers Rights

Making a Difference for Dads

Our Greensboro-based family law firm has a track record of obtaining favorable outcomes for fathers in custody conflicts and other issues such as domestic violence protection orders and in subsequent stages such as child abduction, parent relocation, and change of child support requirements.


What is the Importance of Fatherhood?

Over 34% of all children in the US live without their biological fathers. On average, these kids struggle significantly more with poverty, drugs, mental health issues, criminal behavior, and poor grades at school.

The well-being of America’s children can be improved by restoring fatherhood to its rightful place as a societal norm in our communities. Data from many studies show that children benefit from the institution of marriage and even from being raised by two unwed parents. In the context of divorce, custody and paternity, we must reinforce the proven advantages for children when their dads are granted continued involvement on an equal footing. The Law Offices of Culbertson and Associates is wholeheartedly committed to these ideals in our philosophy and practice of family law.

North Carolina Fathers’ Rights in Child Custody & Visitation

Fathers in North Carolina have the same rights as mothers when it comes to child custody and visitation. However, there are some important considerations that fathers should be aware of when pursuing their rights.

fathers rights matterThe first thing to keep in mind is that North Carolina courts should, according to law, generally award some form of joint custody to both parents (unless one parent is shown to be unfit).

Resource: Can unmarried father take child from mother?

If joint custody is not possible or desirable, then the court will award primary custody to one parent and secondary custody to the other. The parent with primary custody will sometimes have the final say in decisions regarding the child’s welfare. The parent with secondary custody will usually have visitation rights, although these can be limited if the court finds that it is not in the best interests of the child.

Fathers should also be aware that although North Carolina law does not provide for a presumption in favor of mothers when it comes to child custody, fathers and their lawyers need to be vigilant to guard against remaining prejudices against male parenting — especially regarding infants.

This process, however, can be time consuming, and if there are complicated factors or if time is of the essence, a lawsuit is usually necessary. For example, if you’re a father who owes child support, you may want to have an attorney seek a “departure” from the Child Support Guidelines in order to lower the amount due.

Fathers’ Rights for Child Support in North Carolina

In North Carolina, both mothers and fathers have a legal obligation to support their children financially. Child support is typically paid by the non-custodial parent to the custodial parent, and it is meant to help cover the costs of raising a child.

Child support payments are typically calculated using a formula that takes into account the income of both parents, the number of children involved, and the amount of time each child spends with each parent. The court may also consider other factors, such as whether one parent pays for health insurance or childcare expenses.

If you are a father who is owed child support, there are several ways to enforce your rights. You can file a claim with the North Carolina Division of Child Support Services, which will take steps to collect the payments from the other parent.

You can also file a lawsuit against the other parent. If you are successful, the court may order the other parent to pay past-due child support, as well as interest and attorney’s fees. The court may also order wage garnishment or seizure of assets in order to ensure that child support is paid in the future.

If you are owed child support, it is important to take action quickly. The sooner you take legal action, the better your chances of success will be.

Krispen Culbertson has extensive experience handling child support cases in North Carolina. He can help you understand your rights and options, and he will aggressively pursue enforcement of your child support order.

Do You Need a Father’s Rights Attorney?

If you are a father who is seeking child custody, child support or visitation rights, you should consider consulting with an experienced father’s rights attorney. An attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that your rights are protected.

Krispen Culbertson has spent years fighting for fathers’ rights in North Carolina. With experience in both the courtroom and the legislature, Krispen is uniquely qualified to help fathers assert their rights.

Krispen has worked with fathers from all walks of life, including those who are:

  • seeking joint custody of their child;
  • trying to obtain primary custody of their child;
  • facing limited visitation due to a previous criminal conviction;
  • dealing with a contentious ex-spouse or partner.

No matter what your situation may be, Krispen can help you understand your rights and options. He will work tirelessly to ensure that you have the best possible chance of success in your case. Contact Krispen today to schedule a consultation.

Culbertson and Associates Protect Father’s Rights in North Carolina

Culbertson and Associates is a father’s rights law firm in North Carolina. We are dedicated to protecting the rights of fathers in child custody, child support, and visitation cases.

We understand the challenges that fathers face in the legal system, and we are committed to ensuring that fathers have a level playing field in court. We know that fathers have a unique perspective on their children’s lives, and we will fight to make sure that your voice is heard.

If you are a father who is seeking child custody or visitation rights, we can help. Contact us today to schedule a consultation. We will review your case and advise you of your legal options.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.